kyu <kyu / console-pimps.org> wrote:

> One feature i find vi/nvi/vim/whatever is lacking is the ability to have
> an interactive shell inside a buffer, i can be in
> one xemacs session, and C-X2-C-Xo m-x shell and i have a command prompt
> sitting right there, which i can even copy and paste from. I've never
> found a way to do this in vi, and i find it much more productive to be
> able to do everything from one terminal than constantly switching
> backwards and forwards between processes. Just my $0.02 :)
>
> Also, emacs can make a great ide with the code browser, which uses
> semantic (and so supports ruby) and ruby-mode.el is great. :)

Hopefully, the next version of vim will add more by way of embeddability
support, so that you can integrate a vim window as the editor component
of a larger app (I'd love to run vim within kate, for instance). A shell
within vim would be ideal, but vim within kate would be a decent
compromise for anyone using X.

martin