> BG> Emacs and vi are astounding at editing text.  I doubt there's
anything out
> BG> there that can do more.  They also happen to have some pretty good support
> BG> for a whole lot of different languages.

I enjoy vi as part of a whole system.

gdb or ruby -rdebug for debugging. vi for editing. make and rake for
build automation. I assemble this small arsenal of tiny tools, and the
learning curve drastically shallows as I learn, because what works on
the shell works within vi (!!yourcommandhere), and the tools all work
together, because they have to, not out of explicit support for each
other.

Ari