Hello Ben,

BG> Emacs and vi are astounding at editing text.  I doubt there's anything out
BG> there that can do more.  They also happen to have some pretty good support
BG> for a whole lot of different languages.

As a 10 year hardcore emacs user (and with my academic background in
user ergonomie) i think you are very wrong with this opinion.
Both are a little bit outdated and in many points there are now better
solutions.

Tomorrow i have to wait a few hours at the airport for my connect flight, maybe i'm
then in the right mood to participate in this religous war. Just to
set the first argument: Emacs is good text operating system, but it
lacks a good editor.