On 4/26/2005 16:42, Lothar Scholz wrote:

> Was just confused that we have SFTP (simple file transfer), TFTP
> (trivial file transfer), FTP (file transfer) and SFTP (secure file
> transfer). But don't we all love acronyms ?

Oh gosh yes, too many acronyms for everything  :)  Is there really such
thing as simple file transfer?  Even more confusingly, if memory serves me
right, sftp (as in openssh) actually isn't anything like ftp (RFC 959, the
one at port 20/21) at all.

On a slightly related note I know that their are some IETF in-process
implementations of a secure FTP done with TLS/SSL.  I guess variously
known as ftps.  Maybe check out
<http://www.ford-hutchinson.com/~fh-1-pfh/ftps-ext_col.html>  There's
links at the bottom of all the clients/servers that are doing it.  I'm not
sure  what the interest level is but the advantage is that it's still
really ftp.

Cheers,

~Jason