You might also consider Simkin at http://www.simkin.co.uk/.

Quoted from the site:
   Simkin is a free Open-Source product which is supplied
   without support.

   Available for Java(tm) or C++ and XML

   Easy to embed - by overriding base classes or
   implementing interfaces

   Easy to script - the syntax is simpler than Javascript!

   Low runtime overhead - you control the memory, no garbage
   collection

   Low memory footprint - Simkin for Java is a 50k Jar file,
   Simkin for C++ is a 200k lib file for Visual C++

   Flexible script files - they can contain data as well as code

   Source code provided - customization and support available

I've only run the examples so far -- it looks solid.

--Bruce