---1077017559-813370389-11143137427345

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, ts wrote:

> * a class is a module which can use inheritance

Module#include qualifies as inheritance, no matter how one may try to hide
it under a carpet. A dog with a leg missing is still a dog. It doesn't
matter how much the Java religion asserts that multiple inheritance is
bad. We merely have to assert that multiple inheritance is good, instead
of playing word games like what I've consistently heard in the Ruby
community in my five years of hanging around. The attempt to attract Java
programmers to Ruby shouldn't have been done by compromising the
simplicity of Ruby; instead it should have been done by cult
deprogramming.

The defining qualities of a Ruby class may be that:

1. a Ruby class is a direct-subclass-of a Ruby class using the "<"
notation (except the Object class).

2. the Object class just happens to be the place where .new() is defined;
and this is no matter how many classes use undef_method(:new) to forbid
instantiation.

>   -  "birth" class which can create instance
>   - "singleton" class which is always associated with only one object
>  and no, a "singleton" class is not a "birth" class.

Btw, are TrueClass, FalseClass and NilClass considered "birth" or
"singleton", and then why would they be like that?

  `-o-----------------------------o-' |  | Mathieu Bouchard (Montr٬l QC)---'  |      http://artengine.ca/matju |