>
>
> So, for your variables, you would want:
>
> @adaptations[@lastQueryNum].timesUsed[count] += 1
>
> and that's it.  unless I'm missing something.
>
> --
> Josh Huber

Right that's what I wanted to do.  I tried it but it did not work.  I
printed out the type just to check and it said string. Well, I will look
again at my code and try to figure out why it might have become a string.
This was not the only place where this happened.  I happened in other
places too, I just sent this one example.  Anyhow, it seems like the
fault might be mine and not Ruby's.  this is good news indeed.  I wiil
try to figure it out.

Thanks for all the help