Sorry for being absent from this discussion.

thanks for all of your input. I really like Ruby, so hopefully I can
either see that I have done something wrong, or see that it is not as bad
as I had first thought.

Let me explain more fully my code (my server is accessible again):

first I created a class which had two arrays

class Adapt

 attr_reader :queryNums, :timesUsed
 attr_writer :queryNums, :timesUsed
 intiialize the arrays (Array.new)

then I ceated another class which had in it an array (@adaptions) to which
I added instances of the class Adapt.  I pushed the number zero onto the
times Used array

@adaptations[@lastQueryNum].timesUsed.push(0)

then I tried to increment the number in the timesUsed Array -

I did it this way,

@adaptations[@lastQueryNum].timesUsed[count]
="#{@adaptations[@lastQueryNum].timesUsed[count]}".to_i + 1

perhaps I could have skipped the casting it to string, as the type was
already string for @adaptations[@lastQueryNum].timesUsed[count].  I casted
it anyway just to get on with things and not have to worry about it.

So, I wonder if there was something I did wrong, ot if this is just the
way that it works.

Thanks for all the help.

Robert