>===== Original Message From "Guy N. Hurst" <gnhurst / hurstlinks.com> =====
>Jim Freeze wrote:
[...]
>There can be several ways to make stand-alone executable from Ruby
>program.
>
>  * dump core after loading everything, then use undump; this scheme
>    is used by Emacs and Perl.
[...]

Actually this has not been used with Perl for a long time.

However another way was tried with Perl with some success,
and I think someone mentioned trying it with Ruby as well,
zip the application and the libraries it needs, then
prepend a slightly modified Ruby interpreter that knows how
to navigate the zip.

My understanding is that the proprietary programs in the
Perl world that make stand-alone executables out of Perl
scripts usually operate this way.

Cheers,
Ben