Eric Hodel wrote:

>I would be very surprised if you couldn't do this from WIN32OLE, since

>you can do it from Access.  If you have the VB for this it should be a

>boring but otherwise easy job of porting the VB to Ruby, provided you
>know where to look for which applications.

I know how to user WIN32OLE to invoke applications and whatnot, but I
was wondering about the data exchange. When the fax application is
brought up through the completion of the fax printer selection the
recipient's name, fax number, etc. all have to be specified from the
fax software's phone book. What I want to do is pull the Rails vendor
details to automatically populate this information where the enduser
just has to click on Send Fax and away they go.

Let me say first off that I LOVE Rails. I have been working with Ruby
for about 6 months now and cannot imagine choosing to use another
language unless I had to out of business rules and necessity. I have
had to use everything from C++ to Java to VB and wouldn't want to
switch back unless I had no other choice. And Rails will only help
further the attention and notoriety that Ruby should be getting. Some
folks think that Rails might overshadow Ruby but I think it will only
bring people into the language. Since once they start using it and see
how easy it makes things they will start looking 'under the hood' and
discover Ruby's practicality and effectiveness.

I am still working through the Rails implementation of the P.O.
application so I won't be near the DDE stuff until the end of things.
We'll see how it goes!