Thank you all for your help

I really like Ruby in many ways but.... this is really ugly!  I can't see
why in the world I would want to program this way. Can someone explain why

this is good.  I like the idea of dynamic rather than static typing, but I

would deal with static typing rather than this.  Does Smalltalk operate in

this manner?   I have not yet had time to program a project in Smalltlalk,

though it is something I plan to do soon.  I don't think it has these
problems, but if it does... well, Java is not THAT bad...

Thanks again for your help.