On 4/19/05, Belorion <belorion / gmail.com> wrote:
> > "What this thingy will do is allow you to treat the arbitrary
> > "grouping" field as a comma-separated list of "tags", thus allowing
> > you to tag files as you would bookmarks at del.icio.us. This can aid
> > in creating smart playlists. Trust me."
>
> This sounds very neat!  Do I understand correctly that you can use
> this tagger and the changes will be reflected next time you open
> iTunes?

Actually, you have to have iTunes open while running the program (it
interacts with the COM interface). Changes made with my program are
made instantly (i.e. the music database is updated on the fly).

> I was thinking of Ruby + music the other day when we had posts
> announcing new classifiers (such as
> http://rubyforge.org/projects/classifier/ and
> http://rubyforge.org/projects/bishop/).  I wonder if iTunesTagger + a
> Ruby Classifier might be able to do automatic assignment of certain
> tags.  Maybe it would be possible to say "classify" the tempo of a
> song as either being fast/slow to be able to distinguish between high
> energy and slow music.  Or tag anything with a certain level of bass,
> etc.

You could certainly do that if you know audio processing. I'm not sure
the COM interface would make sense to use; there may be a
visualization plugin API (haven't looked) by which you can obtain
access to the decoded bitstream.

--
scott parkerson. geek, erstwhile prophet and fool.
just a cog in the machinery: http://www.smerpology.org/sprocket/