Hi --

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Christian Neukirchen wrote:

>>> Eh, there is one tar.gz that contains all of Rails libraries, where's
>>> the problem with that?
>>
>> Further more, Rails didn't support RubyGems until a couple of releases
>> in.
>>
>> Where RubyGems has made a big difference, I think, is for upgrading
>> and trying out new versions of libraries you already have. So
>> basically, it's the library versioning that, to me, is one of the
>> biggest draws of RubyGems.
>
> Now, I didn't get too deep into Rails, but how would one practically
> do that:  Have several Rails projects, which all use different
> versions of AR, AC etc...?

Yes.  You can specify version numbers in your configuration for each
app, which is nice because it means you don't have to upgrade all your
Rails apps as soon as a new version of Rails comes out.  I've done
this quite a lot (with the Ruby FAQ, RCRchive, etc.).

David

--
David A. Black
dblack / wobblini.net