Hello,

I've just started using ruby.  I'm currently using sockets but I've run into
a problem that I can't understand.  On the client side I have something like

sock = TCPSocket.new(...)
sock.send("blah\nblah\n\C-D")

Then, on the server side I have

server = TCPServer.new(...)
sock = server.accept
recv_msg = sock.readlines
print recv_msg

But that doesn't work.  It just sits there waiting.  But if I subsitute the
last two statements with the following, I get the desired results:

while (recv_msg = sock.gets)
  print recv_msg

I'm not an experienced socket programmer, so can someone explain to me why I
can't use readlines?  Something with blocking?  Any help would be greatly
appreciated and apologies in advance if this has been asked before.

Thanks,

Norman Su