why the lucky stiff <ruby-talk / whytheluckystiff.net> writes:

> Christian Neukirchen wrote:
>
>> Could someone with RedCloth experience please make some statements on
>>
>>the Markdown support?  Is it possible to use Markdown only and to what
>>extent?
>>
> Right now most answers concerning RedCloth3 can be found at:
> <http://redhanded.hobix.com/inspect/usingRedcloth3.html>
>
> The section "Line Breaking with a Sledgehammer" talks about the
> subtleties between Textile and Markdown's whitespace and entity
> handling, which is often ignored but very pertinent.
>
> RedCloth currently supports the following Markdown:
> * Setext-style headers, which look like:
> * Blockquotes, which are:
> So all the "nested" examples work.
>
> * Indented code blocks work.
> * Horizontal rules
> * Inline links, like: [hobix](http://hobix.com "Hobix is the white
>   pantsuit of weblahhging")
>
> However, RedCloth does not currently support:
> * ATX-style headers
> * Markdown lists starting with '-', '+' or /\d+\./
> * Reference-style links
> * Markdown emphasis (these are handled using Textile rules)
> * Backtick code fragments
> * Images
> * Automatic links

Ok, I guess I'll wait a bit with my transition then.

> I have figured out how to weave each of the above into Textile, but
> haven't implemented them yet.
>
> This message was written hastily, so I may be wrong about any of the
> above.  However, I know myself pretty well and I am inclined to
> believe it is all correct.

Another question, to what extend does RedCloth quote < and > ?
I'd like to write RedCloth *in* Vooly markup, say

    <<quote This message was written *hastily*,
    so I may be _wrong_ about any of the above.
    --- [Why the Lucky Stiff](http://...) >>

Simple cases seem to work, but maybe you know about any traps.  If
this works, I'm likely to switch to RedCloth for Anarchaia, as
BlueCloth currently either destroys the << or doesn't markup it.