On Apr 14, 2005, at 6:19 PM, Joe Van Dyk wrote:
> On 4/14/05, Mel Bohince <feet / att.net> wrote:
>> Really enjoying Ruby so far, but now I'm confused. To help learn Ruby,
>> I've been translating the Java code in the "Head First Design
>> Patterns"
>> book into Ruby, aware that many are built-in with Ruby. While
>> mimicking
>> the Decorator pattern I'm getting a strange failure to an
>> assert_equal.
> I've found that a lot of those classical design patterns don't really
> make much sense when using a duck-typed language.
> Thoughts?
Joe,

I'll defer to experienced, but yes, it seems like overkill when not a
strongly-typed lng.

I just wanted some hands-on experience as I read the Pick-Ax; thought
that working with some classic coding situations would be a good
contrived problem that would help me retain Ruby. (I spend most of my
work day writing in 4D which is not OO.) Also, the "Head First" book is
really motivating; the writing style is truly impressive.

mel