On Wed, 18 Apr 2001 08:14:13 +0900, "Bill Kelly" <bkelly / atg.eb.com>
wrote:

>Ah.  Well I admit it may be a silly idea.

If we're already talking about silly ideas.  An easier solution, if
you want only one code base, would be to use Java as the main source
and then use a J2C translator to generate C code you can compile on
different platforms :-)  I've no idea whether this would work, but at
least the chance is higher than the other way round.

GCJ, BTW, is a Java source/Java bytecode frontend for GCC to compile
Java class files or source files to machine code.  Unfortunately it's
still at JDK 1.1 and the runtime class libraries is anything but
complete.  Furthermore, because of the poor implementation of the
runtime system, the performance is very low.

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust \/ Truth Until Paradox