I've got some interesting news.

Over the last couple of days, I've been talking by e-mail with Shawn
Gordon, the president of theKompany.com. They have a Python IDE called
BlackAdder that seems to be well regarded.
(http://www.thekompany.com/products/blackadder/)

BlackAdder is commercial software, currently costing $80 (but with a
special now on).

Shawn asked me if I thought there'd be any interest in a Ruby version
of this, and I said I thought there would. I also said that he might
want to consider seeding the market by releasing a free version
(possibly minus features such as the GUI builder and database
connectivity). I've been very impressed by his flexibility on this:
he's agreed to produce a free version for the Ruby community!

However, in order to make this happen, he needs some help from us. In
particular, he's looking for someone to help out producing a set of
rules for Scintilla so that BlackAdder will be able to do syntax
highlighting, folding, and the like. So in there anyone out there who
could put that together? If so, could you get in touch with Shawn at
shawn / thekompany.com. Could you also copy the list on this mail, so we
can keep track of this development.

If we can put the required resources behind this, they're talking
about having a Ruby version of the IDE available in about a month.

Regards

Dave