> I'd be interested in something like JRuby as a backdoor to introduce
> Ruby into Java projects.  Especially large projects could benefit from
> the power of an embedded interactive scripting language.

I use Jython frequently and love it! I can express myself in Python where it is
fitting, and use pure Java where it is fitting. Essentially I get the best of
both worlds.

However, the Java files that Jython creates are pretty ugly. Henceforth, I tend
to ignore the intermediate Java files... ;-)

> >The primary 'problem' with Java IMO is not so much the language itself [..]
>
> We should distinguish Java, the programming language (which IMHO
> sometimes sucks) and Java, the platform (which can be quite powerful
> and is well supported - especially among IT management)

The Java platform is wonderful, while I agree that the language itself can be
slighly hairy.

> The idea of JRuby is to replace Java, the programming language while
> keeping Java, the platform and keeping IT management happy.

I would wholeheartedly support a Ruby implementation in Java. While it is
certainly not trivial, it certainly can be done.

> Furthermore, I somewhat like Swing and really like the power of the
> Java 2D API...

I am currenly writing a peer-to-peer video conferencing application in Jython,
using the Java Media Framework. Written in 100% Java it would be a nightmare
(IMHO), and virtually impossible to do in a cross-platform way with Python (due
to the video capture APIs, etc...). Jython is the right tool for the job!

--
Glen Starchman
Enabled Ventures/Enabled Technology Group