On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 01:27:59 +0900, "W. Kent Starr"
<elderburn / mindspring.com> wrote:

>On Monday 16 April 2001 10:11, Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:

>> Like JPython opened a way to introduce a fine scripting language to
>> larger Java projects in a seamless way, I wonder whether a similar
>> approach for Ruby could be advantageous.

>IMO it would.  [...]
>Anyone who read the thread resulting from Stephanie's query re Ruby and Java
>knows I am not really a Java 'fan'.

I'd be interested in something like JRuby as a backdoor to introduce
Ruby into Java projects.  Especially large projects could benefit from
the power of an embedded interactive scripting language.

>The primary 'problem' with Java IMO is not so much the language itself [..]

We should distinguish Java, the programming language (which IMHO
sometimes sucks) and Java, the platform (which can be quite powerful
and is well supported - especially among IT management)

The idea of JRuby is to replace Java, the programming language while
keeping Java, the platform and keeping IT management happy.

Furthermore, I somewhat like Swing and really like the power of the
Java 2D API...

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust \/ Truth Until Paradox