Phil Tomson wrote:

> I think the table got a bit shifted so I shifted it back...
>
> What's the application for this or is it just a brain teaser?

WebSTAR, is a Web/Email/Ftp/etc... server that runs on OSX. The Ftp
portion hasn't been updated in several years, and the password is
encrypted for each user. Users have to be added/removed via a GUI right
now, so I am writing a command line ruby program to add and remove
accounts from the user data file. I have everything except for the
password encryption part done. I struggled with trying to decipher it
myself, and was hoping someone better in this area of math be able to
help me out. My command line utility will be open source and donated to
everyone and especially the WebSTAR community.

> Also, I'd look into the idea that maybe these are modulo-n counters (?)

This was what I was looking into, but I couldn't find one that would
consistently work for multiple rows/columns. I am/was thinking that
there would be a expression that could be used across the board.

> However, if I look at the row numbers I can see that they directly map
> onto columns as well, look at row 'c' and column 3:
>
>        1       2       3       4       5       6    (etc......)
>                        2
>                        1
> c 3   |2       1       0       7       6       5
>                        7
>                        6
>                        5

Thanks thus far Phil. If you have any other ideas, please feel free to
post em.

Zach