On Fri, 08 Apr 2005, Lothar Scholz defenestrated me:

> Yes maybe its possible to transfer part of the language (all?) into an
> smalltalk VM. But you can never get all the binary extensions to work,
> an emulation layer would kill all your speed benefits if possible
> at all. So maybe you should simply announce a ruby branch called SmallRuby,
> since this would not have so much todo with the current ruby anymore.

  OTOH, if it is 30x faster and makes an alternate implementation of socket
(which likely would not have any speed deficiency) and a few other extensions
it may become an attractive branch to use for many people.

  Seems like an idea worth pursuing to me...Proofs in the pudding though.
It will be interesting to see what gains materialize...

-Tom

--
+ http://www.tc.umn.edu/~enebo +---- mailto:enebo / acm.org ----+
| Thomas E Enebo, Protagonist  | "A word is worth a thousand  |