On Apr 7, 2005, at 2:39 PM, Florian Growrote:

> Peter Suk wrote:
>
>> I thought I'd talk about my new project here, since there is a good
>> chance that someone might be interested in it.  I'm planning to put
>> Ruby on top of Smalltalk VMs.
>
> This does indeed sound promising. Having a self-hosted Ruby would have
> certain benefits as well.
>
>> a wonderful debugger which will let programmers modify methods on the
>> fly & continue execution
>
> That is already possible with ruby-breakpoint which spawns an IRB
> session at a specific place of your code. See
> http://ruby-breakpoint.rubyforge.org/ if you are interested in this
> sort
> of things.
>
> It sure can't hurt to have more options, though.

In the Smalltalk debuggers, you can spawn off as many debugger sessions
as you want by highlighting arbitrary code in the debugger as well as
any browser window, as well as visually "inspect" any object (with each
one appearing in a window), with the context of every window sensitive
to the class being displayed.  The effect is basically an
"irb-anywhere" which you can arbitrarily interleave with any number of
visual inspects.  That, and a self-hosted language, faster VM, more
garbage collection options, etc...

--
There's neither heaven nor hell, save what we grant ourselves.
There's neither fairness nor justice, save what we grant each other.