On Apr 7, 2005 3:45 PM, David A. Black <dblack / wobblini.net> wrote:
> I don't think they ever have been, at least not in the treatment of
> all this line-ending stuff (and maybe a few other things).
>
> David
Kind of interesting, and mightily adding to the confusion: Pickaxe2
calls the m option: 'multi-line mode', dot matches newline.
Jeffrey E. F. Friedl, in the content page of the Mastering book:
Dot-matches-all match mode (a.k.a., "single-line mode").
He calls multi-line mode the different interpretation of ^ and $.

Does anyone know if there is, or has been, a reason why Ruby chooses
to be different from the rest (Perl, Python, PHP, Apache to name a few).

Cheers,

Han