Luke Graham wrote:

>On Apr 5, 2005 8:18 PM, B. K. Oxley (binkley) <binkley / alumni.rice.edu> wrote:
>

>>Luke Graham wrote:
>>

>>>Could it be??? Shouldnt the flash have turned it to stone???
>>>
>>>If you follow the link to his coach, you will notice he worked for S+M
>>>Components...
>>>nothin suss! ;) I think hed have to enjoy S&M to take Ilias on as a student.
>>>

>>I'm new to ruby-talk.  Why the pile-on for this fellow?  I looked
>>through some of the material linked, and his most recent posts since I
>>joined, and he seems "mostly harmless" (in the words of Douglas Adams).
>>
>>I thought Ruby was the language for nice people.  Why all the snippy
>>remarks?
>>

>Others have explained their points of view in this thread already, but
>I want to give my position, seeing as I was the one being nasty.
>
>Ilias is a chronic time-waster. He may not be a troll in the true
>sense of the word, but the effect is the same. The few posts Ive made
>-about- him pale in comparison to the list traffic -to-
>and -from- him, however it is true that threads like this one are part
>of his success. The only way to win is to not play, and I dont believe
>this list is ready to do that yet, so I dont see any harm in a couple
>more mails. I know thats an illogical view, and that every post I make
>adds victory points to his score, but Im only human and dont always
>make sense.
>
>For me, the biggest effect he has is to cause a sense of wonder that
>bright people like JEG2 would waste even a minute of their lives
>responding to him, once they realised what he was. After a few minutes
>of research, its obvious that even his more interesting questions act
>as lures to keep the threads going until "closed". I saw a post where
>he mentioned something about someone acting as a "cyber-doctor", so I
>guess hes been remotely analysed many times, but I think in the end
>hes probably just lonely and confused. It doesnt make him any less
>irritating.

Live and let live I say. I also new to this list. Maybe there should be
a moderated list for ruby experts who want to restrict discussion to
concise informed opinion, but the title of this list, ruby-talk gives a
different impression. I consider this list a source of entertainment,
and in that mode I don't mind having my time wasted. If I'm not
interesting in a discussion I move on, nothing to see here. I don't like
personal attacks, it gives a bad feeling.

regards,

Richard.