On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Sascha Ebach wrote:

> See, even if you just rent a virtual root account on a big machine (like 4
> CPUs, 4 GB Ram, 6 SCSCI RAID drives) like we do for our customers it costs
> you like 60-70 Euros + Backups and what not. At our hosting company you get a
> guarantee for 100 running processes. Now you can do the math. Even if all 100
> processes were available (which they wouldn't be if you account for db
> servers, email servers and what not) you would need 50 Rails customers
> allowing each customer a Rails app with 2 processes. You earn 50$ from your
> customers and have to pay like 100$ to your host. That doesn't sound quite
> right to me.

I will point out that jvds.net User Mode Linux virtual hosts are more like
$20/month.  Not a particular deal breaker in my book, I pay a few times
that for my DSL connection at home, which gives me a /26 subnet.  Over the
past several years, I've hosted systems for some of my friends and I plan
on hosting some user mode linux virtual systems for some other friends.
And, no, most of y'all aren't that close friends.

-- Matt
Nothing great was ever accomplished without _passion_