vruz wrote:

> Sneaking Ruby in to the office wasn't a big deal for me.

Before releasing MiniRubyWiki, I got a gig using it. [Un]fortunately, the
shop had a "more is better" policy - they already used Lua, Perl, C#, MFC,
etc. Their other thought leaders were using Python as the Smarter Perl.

> When they asked me to do something impossible whilst also meeting an
> insane deadline, I told them that I would do it, but I would use my
> own toolset.
> I migrated poorly designed database schemas and all the data in them
> from different sources (including old dbase tables), enforced
> integrity in the target database and created a user interface for them
> to query and review the new database.
>
> Tools:  Ruby, Debian Linux, Postgres
>
> They were thinking from a VC++ or Java mindset, they just couldn't do
> that in less than a week using those tools. (heck, not in less than 4
> weeks)

Same experience. They gave me a legacy Perl test-runner, and I installed MRW
as its GUI almost instantly:

 http://flea.sourceforge.net/gameTestServer.pdf

Then, whenever I worked in Ruby my velocity was super-high, and working in
the Perl test-runner was super slow.

The Perl was written by a total newb. But even after I refactored the snot
out of it, and got it under test, it was still the boat anchor in my daily
workflow. I could have rewritten it in Ruby in a few days, but they were
days I could not ask for.

--
  Phlip