In article
<Pine.LNX.4.30.0104122234340.4040-100000 / leannan.knavery.net>, rise
<rise / knavery.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Apr 2001, meredith wrote:
>
> > > If you're on a Unix-ish[1] platform I'm working on a Ruby
> > > interface to the Libnet portable packet generation library which
> > > includes resolver functions.  I can package them up separately if
> > > they'll do the trick (mainly they do straight host <-> IP
> > > lookups, plus some hardware identification) for you.
>
> > I'm on Linux and OSX/BSD, so should be useful. Windows? Bletch.
>
> I'm trying not to be a Unix chauvinist[2].  There are some poor
> benighted souls still living in the outer darkness, and I'd rather
> not exclude them from the fun.

ROFL

> What functionality do you need?  I'm assuming the IPSocket/TCPSocket
> resolver functionality isn't up to what you're doing and thus you
> probably need to do something funky.  If it's not too strange maybe I
> can extract the code from Libnet[1] and write a patch for socket.c
> that will have some hope of making it into the core.
>
> [1] it's a BSD style license, so that shouldn't be an issue. [2] It's
> not easy - after a few brain dead NT problems you don't respect
>     it in the morning...

Oh, probably using TCPSocket would be fine, if I knew how to use
sockets. *blush*.

Actually I'll I'm really looking for is something equivalent to the
Net::DNS::Resolver class. You know, a resolver object that I could use
to access the various parts of a domain? My s2bx wrote something for me
in Perl using the N::D::R class, which makes the porting a bit difficult.

I know, I know, I should learn how to use sockets, but right now I'm
trying to focus on learning Ruby, administering my Linux box and
fighting spam.

--
meredith
--Half a wit is better than none.