On Apr 1, 2005 8:14 PM, Stephen Kellett <snail / objmedia.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Thats a fine work around, but is bad for people with RSI/WRULD as it
> introduces a static load on the finger holding for the pause. If you
> don't have RSI you won't know why that is an issue. If you do have RSI,
> as I do, you will know that its a very real issue. A good UI will reduce
> the likelihood of harm to its users.

Then you might like to try Apple's no-button mouse, you could use the
palm of your hand instead of your fingers.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/70307/wo/AX47Tf8hMJes2v4UZwLKJ2DnXjG/1.0.11.1.0.6.25.7.11.2.3

> >Then buy a two-button mouse. The vast majority of OS X apps today
>
> I would, but that wasn't what I was arguing about. You shouldn't have to
> replace a fundamental component the instant you open the box. They could
> ship with a two button mouse with the right one disabled. Then it would
> be a configuration option.

Do you really believe this? Shipping a component where half of it is
turned off by default?

I'm not sure that the right mouse button is as fundamental as you say
it is. It isn't needed for web development. There isn't much need for
the right mouse button in word procesing and other office
applications. From watching non-developers, the toolbars are used much
more than context menus. Developers OTOH tend to use keyboard
shortcuts,sitedtepping the mouse completly. How about graphic design?
Applications like Photoshop need much more than two buttons - mouse +
ctrl or alt or even both is quite common. Scrolling is done with
spacebar + mouse.

Personally, the only time I make a lare amount of use of the right
mouse button is for mouse gestures - and even then a scroll wheel is
used orders of magnitude more often. I would love to see the
spacebar+mouse scrolling generalised to all applications, not just
graphical ones. That could replace my scroll wheel in a second!

Douglas