In message <51445b392fe809199199e4fe9f5aa106 / loudthinking.com>, David
Heinemeier Hansson <david / loudthinking.com> writes
>, Apple are on many fronts a role model. The shared appreciation of
>Apple's products is an important component of the company culture. Just
>like a shared appreciation of the open source benefits is an important
>component.

That I do not understand. Apple has been a very litigious corporation,
making premium priced products for a fashion conscious, niche market.
How does that mesh with the OSS model, of free access to source code and
use, a copyleft licence and increasingly a less and less niche market?
If I was developing OSS the last platform I'd choose would be a Mac,
based on their previous behaviour of burning customers (incompatible
hardware changes), premium pricing, etc. You don't have the hardware
problems with Linux or Windows on WinTelAMD.

>As an example of good fit, I don't think it's a surprise that pretty
>much all
>of the Rails core contributors are Mac users. That Rails heavy shops
>like

Perhaps there are other trends at work. The Mac has historically scored
well for Artwork and Music. I have not been involved with the music
industry for some time. It would not surprise me if many arty-types (for
want of a better phrase) realised they could do work with the Web and
started doing websites and continued using their Macs and this has fed
into the increase in use of Macs. Many years later, and you get the
current situation where support on the Mac for the web is equivalent in
terms of design tools (you tell me, I'm guessing). That good web design
can be/is done by good arty people with talented software people behind
them doesn't surprise me one bit. That the arty people may prefer Macs
also doesn't surprise me. That some of them decided to learn to write
software also doesn't surprise me (although statistically it should be
lower than the norm as more dyslexic people are found in the
art/creative community and thus staring at screen all day is not their
thing). That people that use Macs for web design and write software
thing Ruby is useful, or like the Ruby approach, well that seems fair
enough. Rails is a web application, so matches that pattern. If your
general claim (if I understand you) is true, then we will see, over
time, a real increase in web and non web applications also written on
the Mac, simply because it is a better platform (in your view).

>Maybe you should consider the occasion ripe to do a chance of computing
>environment? I know this great platform... oh, wait. My

If I could go out and buy a Mac clone maybe (I could always put Linux on
it if I still didn't like it). Whilst I have to pay a premium to Apple
for their hardware, No. When the Mac clones were announced (November
1994, I think) I was pleased. I thought we'd see a rebalancing of sorts,
but Mr Jobs saw to that.

Stephen
--
Stephen Kellett