> And here's an amusing anecdote. Something on the 'net just tried to crack my
> MRW!

There seem to be quite a lot of crackers who automatically scan lots of
of computers for security holes. A few days after they got a list of
computers with possible security holes they come back and really crack
them. If your machine allows SSH access over the net, grep for "Invalid
user" or "POSSIBLE BREAKIN ATTEMPT" in your log files under /var/log/sshd.
I have recently become aware of this, because I accidently had a user
with the name and password set to 'chris'. So one of these crackers had
the luck to guess this account, and got onto my machine. I was lucky
enough to recognize this before he could get root.

martinus