From: "Ryan Davis" <ryand-ruby / zenspider.com>

> On Mar 29, 2005, at 11:14 PM, Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
>
> > I've noticed a high ammount of announcements ("[ANN]") on this group.
> > Possibly it's time to create an "comp.lang.ruby.announce" usenet group.
> > Is someone familar with the process of creating new usenet groups?
>
> As much as I hate to agree with this guy, I'd love to have this list
> broken up even just a little. comp.lang.ruby.announce and its email
> list equivalent would make me very very happy.
>
> P.S. I brought up this discussion in 2002-10-02 when I thought there
> was far too much traffic already (ha!). I'd even downloaded and
> analyzed all the traffic on the list and could show the growth rate. I
> got shot down horribly. Now it is much worse. :/

Just FWIW, I counted up [ANN] headers (omitting Re:plies)
from March 1,
http://www.ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/132643
through the start of this [USENET] thread on March 30,
http://www.ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/135806

The count I got was 72 [ANN]ouncements.  (i dunno if that's
exact but should be nearly correct.)

Which rounds to 2.3% of the list volume during that time.

I dunno if that's high or not.  Just posting for
informational purposes.

Regards,

Bill