On Thursday 31 March 2005 18:26, Navindra Umanee wrote:
> Personally, I hate Sushi.  Well, I've never eaten nor tasted it...  so
> I guess I really only hate the idea of it.  I mean, raw fish?  Gross!
> That's bad enough but stuffing it with nutritionally deficient rice
> for filler?  The only redeeming part is the seaweed, IMHO.

Ok, well this is waaaay off-topic, but so is this whole thread, so I'll
just do a little sushi-education.

Sushi is actually all about the rice.  The fact that a lot of sushi is made
with raw fish is actually a minor aspect.  One of the tastiest (and most
difficult to make) sushi treats is "tamago", a sweet scrambled egg.  Sushi
can also be made with cooked seafood: bbq eel, cooked shrimp, etc.  The
one common thread is the rice.  The rice is not just plain white rice,
it's a special rice cooked with sugar and rice vinegar so that it is
sticky, sweet, and a bit sour.

Raw fish by itself is sashimi.  It's almost always served with rice, but
this time the focus is on the fish, not the rice.

In any case, raw tuna and raw salmon are two of my all-time favourite
things to eat.  I like the other things you'll find in sushi too, but
these two are common, and delicious.  I used to hate fish, but it turns
out that what I hated was badly-prepared cooked fish.  Raw tuna and
salmon, like you'll see in sushi, is nothing like cooked fish.  It's
almost like lightly-flavoured jello.  I don't mind a medium-rare tuna
steak, but to me, cooking fish is now pretty much ruining it.

You should try a "california roll" sometime.  It's made from cooked crab
(well normally imitation crab), cucumber, and avocado, often sprinkled
with sesame seeds.  Nothing raw in there, other than the veggies.

I've had sushi in Tokyo, and it was pretty good.  I couldn't afford
high-class places, just little stalls.  The best sushi I've found is in
Vancouver, Canada.  I guess the ultra-fresh salmon is what does it.

Ben