Hi ..

 On Thursday 31 March 2005 04:15, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> * Bill Atkins (Mar 31, 2005 11:30):
> > Paul Graham says a lot of things; his opinion about what "the best
> > hackers" use isn't really a solid reason for me to consider shelling
> > out a few thousand dollars for what, to me, is not an ideal system.
>

> I think DHH simply phrased his blog-entry a bit slopily,

I am not so sure of that ...

> What really matters, and this is the point DHH was
> trying to make, are the tools that use, are contained in, and
> are activated by clicking on them.

DHH said "... good programmers are wielding Macs. There's the odd exception of
Linux here and there".  So, the logic he follows is that IF you are a GOOD
programmer, you will be using, or switching to a Mac, preferably a Power
Book.

Clearly a troll, though I find his comments unfortunate.  I have worked with a
lot of exceptional programmers.  Given that many of these projects where for
embedded systems, their usage total of Macs was zero.  DHH clearly implies
that they aren't worth their salt.  The same goes for those talented
individuals I have worked with when we where doing client work on Sun boxes,
on IBM AS/400s and so on.

How sad to have such a biased and unkind view of the world.

The question that I personally ask myself is, given these comments, why would
I want to use Rails when there are lots of alternatives?

Regards,

--
-mark.  (probertm at acm dot org)