As posted by Vraj Mohan, the procedure for setting up Ruby access to MySQL under
Windows is quite involved.  See http://seagecko.org/thoughts/index.php?p=28.

Does Rails use DBI to access databases?
Does Rails support MySQL out of the box?
I'm not writing a web app.  However, if the answer to both questions above is
"yes" then it would seem that the easiest way to get myself setup to use MySQL
would be to install Rails.  True?

--
R. Mark Volkmann
Partner, Object Computing, Inc.