Jim Burton wrote:
> +1. Personally I have a stronger bias towards free software

+1. I believe supporting free software is in the interests of our
political, cultural and social freedom. I prefer my software "free"
(as in freedom), my applications "cross-platform" and my hardware
"value for money". The Mac fails my requirements on all accounts.

Currently at home I'm running Ubuntu Linux on a 12'' Uniwill 223ii
laptop; both look great and perform well. An equivalent PowerBook
would have been considerably more expensive; I paid US$1639 including
shipping for the barebones laptop plus 2.0Ghz Centrino, 1x1GB memory,
60GB 7200rpm HD, 24xDVD/CD+RW and Intel pro 2200 wifi. I installed the
CPU and Ubuntu myself, both easy installs for the most part.

At work Cygwin on Windows let's me pretend I'm on a unix box, while
Mozilla, Open Office, IntelliJ Idea and jEdit all look the same on any
platform. So the underlying operating system is usually transparent to
me for the type of hacking I do.

Rob

Uniwill 223ii - http://uniwill.com/products/mobility/223ii0/223ii0.php
Ubuntu - http://ubuntu.com/