James Edward Gray II wrote:
> On Mar 29, 2005, at 11:29 PM, Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
>
>> I've reviewed a little the documentation, but find nothing about
>> metadata.
>
> Probably because it's too general a topic.  The word "metadata" changes
> meaning by context.

ok

>> Is there a standard way to apply metadata/annotations to my class
>> Talker, its Methods, its Attributes?
>>
>> E.g.:
>>
>> class Talker
>>
>>   attr_accessor :name # Type = String; Label = Name; Size = 30;
>>   attr_accessor :age  # Type = int;    Label = Age;  Min=1; Max=150;
>>
>>   def sayYourName
>>   end
>> end
>
> Your comment has already hit on one solution.  :)  There may be many
> others, depending on how you intend to use this information...

I extract: Ruby has not standard-mechanism for metadata/annotations.

ok

>> "attr_accessor" does not work on class variables (e.g. @@count).
>>
>> Must I create @@var/getter/setter manually?
>
> Not exactly.  Here's a trick:
[...] - (trick's and workarounds)

> Most editors I've ever seen will allow you to macro that and assign it
> to a single keystroke.

I am aware about editors and macros.

-

Where can I find the implementation of "attr_accessor"?

I'm intrested in seeing how much effort it is to write an own
"flex_attr_accessor".

[I will possibly include this in the evaluation template, section
"language extension"]

> My opinion, feel free to completely ignore, is that you've strayed
> pretty far from "evaluating Ruby" when you worry about details like
> this.  We can sit here and show you examples like the above
> indefinitely, exploring all corners of the language.  There's no
> substitute for just learning the language and seeing what it can do for
> you though, and this is a poor way to go about that.
>
> James Edward Gray II

I've an evaluation template, which I like to apply to several languages.

Ruby looks very nice till now, although I've hit already some limitations:

http://lazaridis.com/case/lang/ruby.html

..

--
http://lazaridis.com