Dnia Thu, 31 Mar 2005 09:54:23 +0900, Joe Van Dyk napisaa):

>> As I can see, Rails is *not* an application server, as someone mentioned.
>> It is a couple of Ruby scripts and modules working together. Am I right?
>>

> That's correct.

Now I understand! It may be a reason why any Python (or Java) application
server will be faster than Ruby ever be. Both use precompiled code and do
not need to parse source code for every request. Even PHP with its Zend
eaccelerator will be faster, because it doesn't need to parse over and over
again the same source files.

I think Ruby needs similar solution. If not bytecode (like Java and Python
use), so maybe accelerator like Zend for PHP? Ruby and Rails works like PHP
without accelerator. It has to parse all his libraries over and over again
for every request. So I can conclude that for bigger code all might be
slowing down... So I understand why using pure CGI for Rails is useless.
FCGI can help, mod_ruby can help more (I guess), but nothing more.

> However, Ruby comes with a web server called Webrick.  script/server
> starts that web server.

Yes, but Apache is much more powerfull. Those all light embeded httpd
servers included in Ruby (or Python) can be usefull only for testing, not
heavy loaded production sites.

--
JZ