--Apple-Mail-3-775062971

On 30 Mar 2005, at 12:14, JZ wrote:

> Dnia Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:24:30 +0900, Austin Ziegler napisaİİ(a):
>
>> There is no problem with Ruby and CGI (or much of anything else).
>> Ruwiki is a decently fast wiki application written in Ruby. There is
>> a problem with Rails and CGI, because the basic philosophy of Rails
>> is different.
>>
>> Rails is best considered an application server, and as such is
>> expected to be running on your system full time (as far as I can
>> tell, it doesn't). Otherwise, you have to go through its extensive
>> compile process every time -- no, Ruby doesn't do bytecodes or
>> bytecode caching at this point.
>
> I sth do not understand. Did I really execute Rails through CGI???

Yes, you really did execute Rails through CGI.

> I thought I executed long-running process of Rails through "ruby.exe
> scripts\server" command. And CGI, as I thought, was only small adapter
> between Apache and Rails application server.

scripts/server is just a WEBrick server primarily for development
purposes.  CGI has no relation to it, but you can proxy requests from
Apache to WEBrick using mod_proxy.  None of this is set up by default, ince there are more efficient ways of avoiding the startup cost (like astCGI mode).

> E.g. Webware can work in that way. CGI is used only as a bridge between
> Apache and long-running Webkit applications server. It works very fast.

Rails could support this type of thing, but FastCGI is a more general
solution.

FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E  7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

--Apple-Mail-3-775062971
	nameP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-3-775062971--