On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 04:49:52 +0900, Iwan van der Kleyn <none / none.net> wrote:
> > Comparing apples to oranges.
> >
> > PHP is lightning fast to parse: It's parser-friendly first, and
> > human-friendly second. Python the same.
>
> Mmh, I think you have got you fruit mixed up in the wrong bowl :-)
>
> Its rather silly to state that Python is "parser-friendly first, and
> human-friendly second". Python's principal characteristic. its use of
> white-space to delimit program blocks, is primarily intended to make the
> language more us "human-friendly". Thatwhy Python is often called
> "executable pseudo-code".

If so, I feel it fails (hence, I use Ruby). But that's just trollish.

What I mean is that there's not much lexical ambiguity, so python can
parse simply and concretely without parser complexity. () indicate a
call, indentation is easy to parse for nesting. The language is fairly
regular, and while I'm not sure if it's LALR(1), it's darn close. Ruby
is not.

As far as executable pseudocode, I'd argue that it's not, but then, I
find Python ugly.

Ari