Jeff Fry wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am brand new to ruby and liking it so far - particularly the watir
> test libraries. I am comfortable with the Java for loop syntax (i=0,
> i<4, i++) and haven't found something in ruby that feels as elegant,
> particularly when I want to use an increasing value i within the loop.
> Here's an example (with my limited ruby)
>
>        i=0
>        0.upto(3) do

                                         puts 'try
> number ' + i.to_s                   i =
> i+1                                     # is there a more elegant way to
> do i++ ?
>        end

Try:

    0.upto(3) do |i|
      puts "try number #{i}"
    end

> I am guessing that ruby provides a more elegant way to do the above. I
> would love recommendations both on how to iterate when I want to use the
> changing value of the iterator in the loop, and how in ruby to do i++.

i+=1 is the easiest way to increment a number.

By the way: In many/most cases, you can iterate over a collection (e.g.
an array) without worrying about the index, using #each. If you want to
iterate over the same collection and you need the index, you can use
each_with_index.

HTH,
Hal