On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 00:29:03 +0900, B. K. Oxley (binkley)
<binkley / alumni.rice.edu> wrote:
> Florian Gross wrote:
> > http://www.geocities.jp/kosako3/oniguruma/doc/RE.txt seems to have a
> > fairly complete listing of its features.
> Ah, yes.  Thanks.  I should have Googled first.  :)
>
> But reading through that and the documentation on the same site, I am
> still looking for a rationale document.  Why Onigurama and not, say,
> PCRE?  Why a new regexp parser?

1. Licensing. PCRE's licensing has been somewhat fluid. The current
release seems OK.
2. Control. In many ways, such a core feature to Ruby should be native to Ruby.
3. Native concepts. Ruby REs are a bit different because they end up
being objects.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com