* Tim Sutherland (Mar 30, 2005 13:40):
> >   Matz:
> >
> >     "I have talked with Koichi Sasada, and he agreed to merge his
> >     YARV in the current interpreter.  I _hope_ VARV will be core
> >     engine before the end of this year."

> I'm surprised no-one has commented on this yet... I was expecting a
> chorus of "wow!"s.

wow!

Seriously, though, this is great news.  I just figured that everyone
else would fill in the wow!'s for me.

> By the end of 2005, Matz thinks/hopes the OFFICIAL Ruby implementation
> will use YARV instead of the current interpreter.

Yeah, that would be great.  It would hopefully mean that a lot of stuff
that I have currently implemented in C for speed could be moved to a
pure Ruby implementation, which is great, as I am really tired of
writing C code.

> I don't know how YARV relates to Rite ...

No, that is perhaps the most interesting question.  Will YARV simply be
an intermediate VM for the 1.9 series and 2.0 be a complete rewrite of
everything, or will the codebase of 1.9, including YARV, be modified and
trimmed to become Rite?

I'd argue that 1.9+YARV would have to be transformed quite a bit to meet
the goals set for Rite, but if they work well together, perhaps the
transformation method is better, easier, and faster than a complete
rewrite,
        nikolai

::: page: minimalistic.org   :: fun atm: gf,lps,ruby,lisp,war3 :::