In article <slrnd4ffpm.98l.timsuth / europa.zone>, Tim Sutherland wrote:
[...]
>Quote of the Week
>   IRC channel. (2005/03/25 logs.)
>
>   Matz:
>
>     "I have talked with Koichi Sasada, and he agreed to merge his YARV in the
>     current interpreter.
>     I _hope_ VARV will be core engine before the end of this year."
>
>   The goal of YARV is "to develop the fastest Virtual Machine for Ruby in
>   the world". Koichi Sasada's work is supported by the IPA
>   (Information-technology Promotion Agency, Japan) "Exploratory Software
>   Project 2004 (youth)".
[...]

I'm surprised no-one has commented on this yet... I was expecting a chorus
of "wow!"s.

It is VERY BIG NEWS.

By the end of 2005, Matz thinks/hopes the OFFICIAL Ruby implementation will
use YARV instead of the current interpreter.

What would the result of this be?
  - Ruby code runs faster. More often we can write the 'cleanest' code
    instead of having to make compromises in order to get better performance.

  - People who work on the Ruby implementation have a fairly large chunk of
    code they'll need to understand.

.... there's been much discussion over the past couple of years to do with
evaluating Ruby with a VM instead of a straight interpreter (e.g. with
Parrot, Rite etc.) This is an actual "it's probably going to happen, real
soon now" from Matz.

I don't know how YARV relates to Rite ...

If Rite consists of
  a) Language changes
  b) Implementation changes

then are the changes in the Ruby 1.9 interpreter ideas for Rite, and is YARV
the basis of the Rite implementation?

Or will Rite be another implementation altogether?