I have prior experiency with php and recently pythonic application servers
(webware, skunkweb, cherrypy). But I found Rails is very interesting
framework and I would like to test it. I have some questions to more
experienced users of Ruby. No offence, I simply want to know answers.

1. Can Ruby compile its modules to bytecode like Python do? I found in
internet comparision Rails against pythonic application server Quixote. It
is strange, how much, much faster Quixote is. I know that Quixote
precompiles its templates to pure python modules (which are automatic
compiled to pythonic bytecode), so for every request nothing has to be
parsed. Is it also possible for Ruby modules?

2. I am testing examples from website of Rails on my WinXP box. I do not
know why, but every request consumes 100% of my CPU and takes several
seconds! I am using simply CGI, but it seems not to be normal even for CGI.
I have the latest Ruby and Rails, 1.5GB RAM and AthlonXP 2800+.

--
JZ