Kirk Haines wrote:

> Richard Dale wrote:
>
>> Ruby support in KDevelop 3.2.0 is probably at least good as Eclipse RDT,
>> although KDevelop doesn't run on Windows. I would love to hear the
>> opinion of someone who has tried both too.
>
> I have used Eclipse with RDT for quite a while, but a couple months ago I
> started switching to KDevelop, in large part because KDevelop gives me
> (almost) everything I like about Eclipse in a faster, less bulky package.
>
> If my development box were a cutting edge, super fast machine with a lot
> of excess RAM, I probably wouldn't have as much incentive to use KDevelop,
> but given that it's not any of those things, I've so far not found a lot
> complain about with KDevelop.  In fact, if I could hook it to my CVS
> repository so that I could be extra lazy and do commits from within the
> editor, and if I could have a tree view of my project areas (and maybe I
> can and just need to learn the app better), I'd really have nothing to
> complain about.
KDevelop certainly has built in CVS support, so you can do what you
describe. And it has a what I would call a tree view of the project areas
under the 'File Tree' tab.

> Eclipse + RTD is good, but KDevelop, at least for Linux, has the potential
> to be great.
That's certainly encouraging. It would be very hard to catch up with Eclipse
for java support, but for other languages like ruby and C++ I think we can
do at least as well as Eclipse.

KDevelop is Free Software with a low barrier to entry. If it has something
missing, such as a Rails project template or whatever, please feel free to
join in. Mail me for help, and/or subscribe to the
kdevelop-devel / kdevelop.org mailing list..

There is a very annoying bug where the icons for the debugger step options
don't installed properly in the 3.2.0 release. I've fixed that in the cvs,
in both the HEAD and KDE_3_4_RELEASE branches. Because nobody has
complained, I was wondering if anyone was actually using it for ruby
development.

-- Richard