Lyndon Samson <lyndon.samson / gmail.com> writes:

>> I fell the original posters pain. My work world is filled with long
>> forgotten .net apps and J2ee apps that I have to patch at a moments
>> notice.
>
> I'll never get this attitude, why is programming in a more powerful
> language almost more enjoyable than in a less powerful language?
>
> Do C kernel hackers grumble they are not writing in zsh or Scheme?

It's a matter of level.  When you write a low-level app (kernel), C is
perfectly fine.  When you write a (very) high-level app (script, even)
in C and you don't gruble, something's wrong with you, I guess. :-)

J2EE apps can be abstracted rather well (I think), but Java doesn't
allow going high-level enough to make coding bearable.  You notice
that as soon as code generation, XDoclet etc. gets used.

> Personally I find many languages enjoyable to program in, even low
> level languages where you are producing alot more LOC than you
> otherwise might using a HLL.

The right tool for every job.