Bill Guindon wrote:

>Out of curiosity, can you 'declare' sorts to be ascending by using a '+'?
>
>Can this:
>  result_set = plane_tbl.select(:name, :country, :speed).sort(:country, -:speed)
>
>Be written like this?:
>  result_set = plane_tbl.select(:name, :country,
>:speed).sort(+:country, -:speed)

Currently, no.  The default is ascending.  However, if there is a need
to explicitly specify ascending, I could add it.

>Also out of curiosity, have you thought about adding indexing?  Could
>just use a different file extension, and rebuild them while 'packing'.

I've thought about it, but that's about it.  :-)
If we are talking about adding it for speed purposes, right now,
KirbyBase is reasonably fast.  While coding this new version, I did a
very rough benchmark on a 80,000 record table.  The query did a select
on a date range and returned 23,000 records.  I coded the query in both
KirbyBase and SQLite and was mildly surprised to see KirbyBase finish
about 2 seconds faster than SQLite.  Granted, this test was EXTREMELY
un-scientific and I am not trying to say in any way that I think
KirbyBase can match SQLite's performance.  I just wanted to point out
that, for small databases, KirbyBase feels pretty responsive, so I am
not sure if there is a need right now to increase the complexity of
KirbyBase by adding indexing solely for speed.

If there would be other good reasons for adding indexing, I'm all ears. :-)

Jamey