I second Eckel

I fell the original posters pain. My work world is filled with long
forgotten .net apps and J2ee apps that I have to patch at a moments
notice.

Having scripting languages has helped me nonetheless with the
exploration of ideas in a timely manner, working out algorithms and
protocols etc...

--
Thomas G. Willis
http://paperbackmusic.net