On Mar 28, 2005, at 6:49 AM, Tim Hunter wrote:
> Jaypee wrote:
>> Generally, the generation of processor (G4 vs. G5) alone is
>> responsible of a similar difference at equal clock frequencies. But
>> here, I expected a bigger difference given the combined effect of a
>> higher clock, a higher generation and a dual CPU.
>
> I don't think Ruby takes advantage of the 2nd CPU. The script runs on
> only 1 CPU, so all the benefit you're seeing is from the faster clock
> speed.

So that explains part of it.

But why would a 2GHz G5 not be at least twice as fast as a 1GHz G4?

G5 versus G4 aside, the doubling of the clock rate alone should
suffice, no?

I'll have to run the test myself on my 1GHz G4 laptop versus my 2GHz G5
desktop...as soon as my wife stops playing WoW on the latter :)